- Description of Work
The North Carolina General Assembly is offering a unique opportunity for individuals interested in assisting the General Assembly Police Department in providing protection for legislators, legislative staff, other government officials, and the general public. Security Screeners provide for the necessary security and protection of personnel and property within the legislative building and legislative complex.
A Security Screener facilitates the screening process for personnel and their property entering the legislative building and the legislative complex. Security Screeners work under the direction of the Lead Security Screener, Day Shift Sergeant, or another lead officer. Recurring tasks and assignments are carried out without specific instruction. There is opportunity for advancement for Security Screeners interested in becoming a police officer with the General Assembly Police Department.Essential Functions:
- Ensures the security and safety of all visitors, staff, and legislators, and the legislative building/complex by monitoring screening equipment and check points.
- Operates various screening devices including magnetometers, detection wands, and x-ray machines at security checkpoints throughout the legislative complex.
- Monitors and controls access at building entrances and vehicle gates.
- Uses interpersonal skills and directive behaviors to ensure security screening procedures are followed by all visitors in an orderly and professional manner.
- Provides customer service for visitors, staff, and legislators. This is to include directions, information, and other routine questions.
- Notifies the General Assembly Police of any violations of building rules or NC General Statutes.
- Assists the General Assembly Police with various related security duties as requested.
- Provides limited assistance on medical emergency calls.
- Checks visitor's bags and parcels for non-compliant items.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Ability to operate all assigned security screening devices and equipment.
- Willingness and ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Requires ability to think and act quickly in emergency situations.
- Ability to give verbal commands and instructions.
- Willingness and ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work cooperatively and under pressure with legislators, legislative staff, and the public on a daily basis.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a professional appearance.
- Requires flexibility with work hours. Security Screeners may be called in on days off or asked to work extended hours.
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Required Education and Experience:
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or equivalency.
- Applicants must pass a criminal background check, credit check, and drug screening.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina motor vehicle operator's license.
- A background in security, law enforcement, or military is preferred.
- Experience with the use of all assigned screening equipment is preferred.
- CPR/AED certification preferred.
- Supplemental and Contact Information
- ***NC General Assembly positions are NOT Subject to the State Human Resources Act.***
To apply for the Security Screener position, submit the NC General Assembly application through the NC General Assembly website:
To be considered for the Security Screener position, all applicants must submit a NC General Assembly application.
**Previous Applicants Need Not Apply**
Agency Contact Information:
North Carolina General Assembly
Human Resources Office
***Due to the high volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application.***
- The General Assembly offers employees and their eligible family members a comprehensive and valuable benefits program. The employees have the opportunity to participate in a variety of benefits which can enrich their quality of life, their health, and their future. Benefits include employee health insurance options, standard and supplemental retirement plans, NC Flex (flexible benefits - a variety of high-quality, low cost benefits on a pre-tax basis), paid vacation, sick, community service leave, and more.
- State of North Carolina
NOTE: Apply to the department listed on posting
An Equal Opportunity Employer, North Carolina, State Government